Download a FREE Ebook titled “7 Metacognitive steps for thinking about the Coronavirus pandemic” by Estelle Brettenny, renowned occupational therapist, founding member of Thinking Schools South Africa (TSSA) and Honorary Member of the Institute for the Advancement of Cognitive Education (IACE).
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Metacognition and Self-Regulated Learning
- Bayan, N. (2014). Self-Regulated Learning Strategies (Video File). Retrieved from www.youtube.com
- Brettenny, E. Metacognition and Self-Regulated Learning. (Visual Resource). Electronic version available from email@example.com
- Carroll, A. Self-Regulation and Self-Regulated Learning (Video File). Retrieved from www.youtube.com
- Edwards, E. (2013). Self-Regulated Learning. (Video File). Retrieved from www.youtube.com
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Computational Thinking
- Website: Computational Thinkers: www.computationalthinkers.com
- The Learning Series Podcast. 2019. Executive Function and Computational Thinking. 23. [ONLINE]. 18 July 2018. Available from: Apple Podcasts [Accessed: 12 July 2019]
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Academic Language
Distinguishing Between Casual Talk and Academic Talk – with Anne van Kleeck (Video File). Retrieved from www.youtube.com
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Thinking Tools and classroom communication
Enrolling for Thinking Tools training sessions. Click here for more information.
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Text Structures
How books and notes can enhance or hamper learning. Available here.
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Play-based learning as a tool to advance cognitive development
- TEDTalks. 2014. Play is more than just fun – Stuart Brown
- TEDTalks. 2017 Learning through play.
- TEDTalks. 2016. 5 TEDTalks every preschool educator should watch.
- TEDTalks. 11 amazing TEDTalks about children and early childhood education.
- How to get into Play-based learning:Part 1. 2017. What is play
- How to get into play-based learning: Part 2. 2017. Small steps to a playful classroom
- Play-based learning with Dr Peter Gray. 2016.
- Play-based learning…it is more than fun and games (Video #186). 2016
- Early child development: learning through play. 2014
- YouTube. 2015. Learning through imagination and play.
- Kindergarten: Where play and learning can meet.
- YouTube. 2010. The role of play in the overly-academic classroom.
- YouTube. 2018. The hidden costs of letting your children be raised by screens and smart devices.
- YouTube. 2017. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs raised their kids tech-free – and it should’ve been a red flag
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Brain Food
- For younger children: infantoddlerforum.org
- Health 24: 5 steps to create healthy school lunchboxes, coupled with a go-to menu
- Gabi Steenkamp cookbooks: Eat for sustained energy for children, FAST FOOD for Sustained Energy, Snacks and Treats for Sustained Energy
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of Growth Mindset
- Google “growth mindset” to discover a plethora of resources and articles that are easy to access and use. A website that offers excellent resources for children is https://www.mindsetworks.com and one for high school and college age is https://trainugly.com. Train Ugly has excellent videos for the older learner and helps all of us understand the science of fear and how fear is the number one barrier to learning
- James Anderson: http://www.mindfulbydesign.com/
Tools that will help parents and teachers on the topic of ebooks and digital reading platforms
- Digital Media Project
- International Collective of Children’s Digital Books
- Common Sense Media: Click here and here
- Reading Rockets